30 December 2008

New Orleans, LA

We were childless for christmas and Erin had the week off so we went on holiday. New Orleans was closeish so we drove down and had a nice weekend.

We stayed at the Hotel St. Marie in the french quarter. It was mostly nice but we don't think we'd stay there again.

We went on a swamp tour thing. It was really cool. Being winter time all of the foliage was dead which both meant that things looked dead but also that you could see deeper into the swamp thing than you could during say the summertime when it was super dense with leaves and such.

It wasn't completely devoid of color though. A few flowers popped up here and there.

It wasn't completely devoid of wildlife either. A boar can be seen in the distance surrounded by a poorly drawn circle.

A lot of the fishing shacks were pretty trashed. I hear they have some sort of hurricane problem around there. I'll have to look it up later.

We went back to the museum of art and looked at the statue of eros and psyche again. We quite liked it. It was also in this room at this time that I asked Erin to marry me. It's some room, huh?

We went on an expensive and short carriage ride. They are touristy and semi-romantic. Mostly because it's 20F outside and so you cuddle up beneath a blanket. This mule of some unremembered name carted us around. Erin probably remembers his name. I'm not so hot at that stuff.

We felt the day needed to be marked with a picture of us. We took this self portrait in our hotel room. I need to work on my camera skills.

The next day we were supposed to ride a trolley I mean streetcar but I have social anxiety issues and screwed that up. Instead we rode a Pontiac Vibe.

Said trolley I mean streetcar ride was supposed to take us to a garden district tour. I think I enjoyed the garden district the most out of all the districts and quarters and such. There were a lot of nice and old houses and a lot of greenery.

Some of them were even for sale. Who wants to lend me the couple mil for this one?

We had a really good time there and will likely try to revisit it some time in the future. It was a cool place to see and a great place to ask the love of my life to marry me.

2 comments:

Ren said...

Congrats on the engagement! I'm so excited for you guys!

Bekah said...

Wow, Dan those are great pictures. I think I might like to visit there. That is a great engagement story too. Congratulations!